The more I read of Emil Cioran, the more I like the guy
Previously, I had not been as familiar with his works compared to the likes of Schopenhauer, Nietzche and even Henry Mencken, granted it's a Romanian figure, and although there are some occasional things I disagree with him on, I find more and more that the guy was a real genius and that there is even more profound wisdom and philosophies in this Man that even meets the eyes at first.
In my free time lately I have been reading much more of him.
sir i cannot believe you are reading cioran!! (i never saw this transformation back then(it is like only some of us are into these things and as cioran said:
ReplyDelete{Wisdom is the last word of a dying civilization, the halo of historical sunsets, fatigue turned into a worldview, the final tolerance before the rise of fresher gods – and barbarism. It is also a vain attempt at melody amidst the wheezing of the end, which rises everywhere. For the Sage – the theorist of the untroubled death, the hero of indifference, and the symbol of the final stage of philosophy, of its degeneration and its emptiness – has solved the problem of his own death . . . and hence all other problems as well. Uniquely ridiculous, he is an extreme case, that one encounters in extreme times like an exceptional confirmation of the general pathology.}
@mani,
DeleteYou best believe I do! Cioran is an extremely unique, brilliant mind, and particularly because there is much more in his words than meets the eye or in terms of the face value of the paper it's written on, and sadly I think that's one of the reasons along with his him being a highly "disliked" individual because of his works, is why he is extremely unpopular, even among most other Cynical writers.
Because even in the statements where I might disagree with something he says, he is not actually necessarily "wrong" about something, or there is a deeper nuance and meaning behind his spoken words that few people probably ever pick up on or care to understand further, plus it involves knowing more about him personally in his mindset to not misconstrue him.
I likely will do an entry on him down the line.